Rev. William Ceiton Young, Dallas Pioneer
2018 marks the 170th year since Tannehill Masonic Lodge was established in what is now Dallas, Texas. As we continue our series highlighting the Masonic and civic pioneers of this great City, we turn the spotlight to Brother William Ceiton Young.
Brother Young was born in Trigg County, Kentucky on August 7, 1827. He entered the Methodist ministry on January 28, 1849, near Paducah, Kentucky, and was a member of the Memphis Conference for three years. From 1852 to 1865, he was pastor of five different churches in Arkansas and three in Louisiana. In 1865, he moved to Dallas.
Brother Young was pastor of the Lamar Street Methodist Church and was instrumental in the erection of their sanctuary at the corner of Lamar and Commerce Streets (the building was dedicated in 1868, but was destroyed by fire in 1879). In addition to his ministry, Brother Young served his community in multiple public offices including County Clerk of Columbia county Arkansas from 1858-1859 and Dallas County from 1867-1868.
He served as Alderman of the Fourth Ward for multiple years.
During his time as Alderman, Brother Young was tasked with naming many streets in the fourth Ward. For example, he named Marilla Street (after his mother), Canton Street (after his birthplace in Kentucky), Cadiz Street (after the Trigg county seat), Harwood Street (after the Dallas County clerk and his Masonic Brother Alexander Harwood), Ervay Street (after Dallas Mayor Henry S. Ervay), and Akard Street (after merchant and his Masonic Brother W.C.C. Akard).
It is said that Brother Young served as Master of three different lodges before coming to Dallas. On May 26, 1866, he affiliated with Tannehill Masonic Lodge. He served as Master of Tannehill Lodge from 1870-1871. He served as Chaplain of the Lodge in 1867, 1868, 1888, and 1889. He continued his Masonic service by serving as High priest of Dallas Chapter No. 47 in 1868, 1873, and 1886. He served the Grand Chapter of Texas in multiple positions. He served as Commander of Dallas Commandery No. 6 in 1871. He also served as the Grand Prelate and Grand Warder of the Grand Commandery of Texas in 1870 and 1875, respectively.
Brother Young left his mark everywhere he went, whether it be on the streets of Dallas or within the Masonic community. Brother Young had two sons who also joined and served Tannehill Masonic Lodge, Brothers John M. Young (Past Master 1890), and W.C. Young Jr.
It is only fitting that his final resting place is at the Tannehill Masonic Lodge Cemetery (Pioneer Cemetery) in Downtown Dallas, which is located at the intersection that bears his and his mother's names.
Young Street in Downtown Dallas is named in his honor.